Balayage is a technique where your hair stylist artfully paints color into your hair with sweeping motions. In french, “balayage” means “to sweep.” The effect is super subtle highlights and/or lowlights that look like you just got back from a summer cruising the Mediterranean. Balayage tends to grow out more subtly than traditional highlights as well, so you may be going longer between service visits than traditional highlights.
To get the most out of a Balayage service, our stylists recommend the following:
- Book a consultation beforehand if it’s your first time considering coloring your hair! Balayage is an art, and your stylist wants time to contemplate your unique look. This is not a one-size-fits-all color technique.
- Come to your appointment with your hair as smooth as possible. Tangles and creases from hair-ties don’t lead to the best color application.
- Those Instagram looks you love often include a technique where the roots have been colored a darker shade to ensure photo-worthy contrast.
- That super-frosty silver/white color is tough to achieve if you have darker hair to begin with, and may require multiple visits to achieve full ice-princess.
- If your hair has been colored before (yes, professionally or at home) it will affect your results, so please tell your stylist about any past coloring. It might mean that you need additional time or visits to get the best result.
- The best balayage looks are overlapped looks, so multiple visits lead to the pretties most dynamic looks.
- Yes, you can switch to balayage from highlights! It looks great!